He wrote the editorial in 1973 because the Americans were being lambasted because of their participation in the Vietnam war (I believe he was a foreign correspondent at the time).

Suckered again! Damn! I must admit, I did wonder at the florid nature of his language. But then, I'm not Canadian.

Um, I should also add that though most Canadians feel strongly that we should stand beside the U.S. in their fight against terrorism (a full 76% of population would approve of giving military support in the event of a war) for some reason it was brought to our attention during George W. Bush's speech that Canada is not one of the countries that the U.S. considers as 'friends' as we were glaringly omitted from his list.

I think it'd just make me feel safer ...

You may also be interested to know that Tony Blair has announced that Britain will be introducing ID cards as soon as Parliament sits again. They won't be compulsory, but you won't be able to buy petrol without one.

That's effectively it for freedom in Britain. It's only a short step from there to having to have one to sit on a park bench, and the Brit police and security forces have shown before that they will take a mile if they get an inch.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...