From the above link: The telecommunications spending storm continues to rage on, threatening every ship on the sea. Lightning flashes and thunder claps roar, leaving investors shivering as they cling to their dinghies. Despite these turbulent waters, we continue to see evidence reinforcing the concept that there is still one large island where the seas appear serene. This land is at the core of most public networks and is known as optical transmission systems. Last night we had another glimpse at this island and observed that it appears to be covered with trees, specifically Sycamore trees."

I was struck with some wisdom by a junior high school writing teacher. There is no better way to destroy your allusion, allegory, parable, (whatever), than by foregoing the subtle approach and overwhelming the reader. Only two or three "hints" are needed in the above paragraph to help us create the appropriate picture. When I'm given too many details, the writer's picture begins to contrast sharply with mine, and there is no better painter than the one in your one mind (consider how much more scared we are when we cannot see the monster on the screen).