Thanks for the heads up on the yeperenye, Rusty. A google search didn't produce the picture I was hoping for, but did lead to some enchanting background on the Aboriginal Dreaming festivals.

I'm curious about the attention and apparent fondness that Australians bestow upon the original (well, aboriginal, i guess) languages and cultures that graced their land long ago and continue to be a presence. It strikes me as perhaps a lesson to be learned (but, sadly, not one that will likely be put into practice in my lifetime) here in the States, where (with a few notable exceptions) there seems to be such a drive toward homogeneity that, for instance, the Native American cultures have all but been steamrolled. I wonder how it is that two peoples could approach their countries' respective histories with such vastly different perspectives.

~~~

Flatlander, thanks for the context. Now that I've reread the passage in question, I recall that (really, I'm not just back peddling) the meaning was indeed quite clear, so my purpose in writing it down was more to see if it was a standard idiom or an example of Chabon's artistry. BTW: Have you, by chance, run across an online discussion group for this book? Google came up empty.

Rodward: Yes, though I've hardly scratched the surface of the book (and won't get much deeper, until I make it back to the bookstore to replace the copy I lost), I'd heartily recommend it as a charming and entertaining read.