Thanks for the link, Rapunzel! Good to be able to read the entire article and charts! It also helps to confirm how the copy-editors of the local rag in this area butcher their stories, to the decades-long disdain of folks in this region (the rag shall be left unnamed)
The nuance of language never ceases to amaze me! My mother spoke what she called "Slovak," as did her parents and most of their first-generation immigrant families. But it's really a dialect of Carpatho-Russian Slavic, since they came from northern Austria-Hungary from villages in the Carpathian Mountains. An exchange student from Slovakia that stayed with my sister's family could understand some of my Mother's tongue, and the Russian student workers that spend the summers here can understand only some of it. Unfortunately, though I know a handful of words, my Mother kept it to herself, mostly, so she could converse with her sister without anyone else knowing what they were saying!...on the phone or in person! So, as you can see, sometimes even personal reasons contribute to this loss of knowledge.