Glinda:

Do NOT pay the ransom. I got away from the kidnappers.

I've been around here for several years now, sometimes very active, sometimes not. Passive-aggressive perhaps?

Anyway, my favorite humor is the pun, be it a one-liner or a shaggy dog story like the one that tsuwm resurrected (I hesitated to use that word in this context but what the heck.)

I've been writing and telling these stories for many years. Some of them are original, some I've merely "borrowed" from others. A couple of years ago I found out that MaxQ had gone to the effort of compiling every pun post I made here and putting the compilation on his web site. Don't know if they're still there but it remains the most flattering thing anyone has ever done for me. I truly felt as though I had at long last been published as so many of us here secretly and not-so-secretly hope for. I believe it also was Max who placed on line the complete text of my novel Poker Club, which had come THIS CLOSE to being published eight or nine years ago.

I haven't been as active in the past year or so because, having retired, I find I don't have the time I used to. For which circumstance there are some who have breathed a deep sigh of relief, I suspect. I'm a full-time househusband with a wonderful long-suffering wife, Peggy, two small kids, Theo, 8, and Sasha, 6. And a new workshop that I built to have a place to build furniture to fill up this huge old house we bought about a year ago.

I just put the first coat of finish on my first major project in the new shop, a mission-style bed of cherry wood for Theo. Next week I start on a pencil-post bed for the marital chamber (quite appropriate what with my propensity to write as much as I do.) I think it'll take me about two weeks to complete that project, most of which will be spent working on perfect octagonal tapers on 8-foot long wood posts. Then Peggy wants me to build around 300 to 500 linear feet of built-in shelves with study carrels for our fourth bedroom, which will be a combination guest bedroom, library, and study hall for the kids.

All of this is to explain why I have again been among the missing. Oh, yeah, we also went to the beach for a week where we didn't have computer access. Every time I have a hiatus I feel almost compelled to explain why and to ask forgiveness. It's really wonderful that people think enough of me to notice when I've been missing.

I love ALL of you!!!!

TEd

PS

The TEd was a typo when I first registered here. Not an affectation at all, as it does appear on the surface. When I was born my father wanted to name me Theophilus because "That's theophilus looking baby I've ever seen." Mom prevailed.

TR

TEd