oh, Mav, i am so sorry to hear this news.

the one thing i always think of in these situations is the phrase 'touched so many lives'. in this case, so many of your friends lovely attributes are doubtlessly impressed upon and carried on by her son (*sigh*), so perhaps comment could be made on the good fortune that--quite literally--a part of her lives on, in her child.

i found this online (forgive the length) and parts of it i found quite moving:

How do you eulogize your hero, other than to say Richie is the greatest man I've ever known?

It is more than obvious that we are all experiencing a devastating loss--but you know who I feel for as much as anyone in this room? The people that will never be touched by Rich the way we all have been. He elevated us as human beings. And we are all fortunate for that.

A man for others and often of few words, Richie always loved seeing other people do well...

...Richie had an unconditional acceptance in the form of respect for everyone he met. He always tapped into the goodness and always made you feel special...

...There was never a wasted day in Rich's life. No such thing as a day off. Today, we must bury Rich, but never forget him.

So work a little harder, spend more quality time with your families...and DON'T waste another minute, they are all precious.

In a way, this is a call to arms; for hugging and support. From this moment onward, Rosi and Baby will need all the arms we can give them.

How can you eulogize your hero? Richie is the greatest man I've ever known.