How much did they tell you about radar?
asks jimthedog.

Like your grandfather, my father worked as a radar scientist in WWII, originally in Swanage (UK) and then in Malvern (which is why I was born there). I have taken an interest in the subject, and read several books in the past. (The room we use as a library in our house is being painted at the moment which is why it has taken me a while to find any references).
I enjoyed "The Invention that Changed the World" by Buderi and this is a good overview. I can't remember how much US stuff it has, I probably would not have noticed the lack. The only book I could lay my hands on at home is "Pioneers of Radar" by Latham and Stobbs (they have written others as well), but this is a collection of short pieces by many of the people involved (including my Mother!). Many are interesting from a personal rather than technical viewpoint, but many are self indulgent.
Radar was discovered/invented in several places round the world in the 20s (by memory) and developed at different speeds depending on how much the particular team could interest the politicians/military in the phenomenon. While the Allies and Germans both knew the other side had radar, both deception and tactics were used to hide the truth from the other side.

Try looking on Amazon or wherever for current books and then try your town library (How good is your system where you live?) Good luck. If you have a specific question you think I could help with, send me a PM.
Rod