Several issues have been raised as posts have flowed so quickly on many interesting topics. If we are dividing the House (in spite of Lincoln), I want my votes counted.
However, first things first:
In reply to:

To Geoff- doesn't B96 call herself a goddess?"

Of course she does for the very simple reason that she is one, and would NEVER be confused for a mere god. You may have that upon the authority of one who is pleased to acknowledge that he is indeed a votary of our Cara Dea,aka known, to some mortals, as B96. Scribbler is further pleased to acknowledge, as did Dr. Bill earlier,that, in the Highpriestesshood of all believers, he is one who holds that Ann of Hampshire is the true and rightful holder of that sacred office.

My next agenda item is one about which I have, for a very long time,held VERY strong feelings. "You" (sing) and "You" (pl) is established usage but occasionally requires additional explanation to clarify meaning. The use of, e.g. "their, them" with singular antecedents AND singular verbs is anathema to me, seems counter-intuitive, and confuses rather than clarifies meaning. Query? Just what IS the basic purpose of speech if not to convey meaning? I am (on THIS issue) strongly in the camp with Mighty TSUWM, Lawyer Sparteye (enlightened view!) and Lord Baltimore (BYB) and others of the same view. As I look around, it is a PRETTY strong camp. A quick footnote is necessary: Bingley, my dear chap, thank you for that link. I must own that there is no more ardent admirer of our Jane than I, but, BUT --if she had been born in a later century and had had the educational advanatages of, say, a D.L. Sayers she would, without doubt, CLEARLY WITHOUT ANY DOUBT,have been in TSUWM's camp.

Must dash for now -- out of town for a few days -- PLEASE SAVE MY PLACE !!! Further thoughts on "sex" and "gender" and "man, woman" and "lady, gentleman" to follow. Keep the thread! Scribbler