I am on the side of the workers for the most part-- but the fact is-- they get almost $10.00 an hour ($9.25--) on The Economist "Big Mac scale"--over 3 big macs an hour. But the whole north east of US is an expensive place to live. I couldn't afford to live in Cambridge-- as an IT professional! I might be able to afford something closer than 1 hour away-- but the Boston area is built up-- $9.25 for a job that doesn't require literacy-- or a command of english? the standards are higher to get a job at McDonalds-- and the jobs there pay less!

And what do they get besides salary? Some universities offer free tutition to employess and family-- it might not put food on the table today-- but its is a substantial benefit. and health care? and paid vacations?

Harvard has handled the whole thing rather poorly-- but so has the union-- I find it kind of hard to shed tears over workers who have unpleasant jobs-- but not dangerous.. or particulary demanding, with almost no skills required. getting paid $9.25 an hour and complaining about a 1 hour commute. (I have a 1 hour commute too!)