Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fascinated me because of the way the subtitles were mentally replaced with voices.

It's funny, that now you mention it, I called up what I remembered about the movie and I can hardly remember reading the subtitles. I too, hear the voices in english. I think it says something about it's quality that that happened.

I enjoy a lot of movies, but those that I *must* have around when ever I want to watch them are few and far between. (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is going to be one of those I buy)

I'm rather fond of fantasy and science fiction, but I've yet to come across a movie in that area that has completely impressed me. I like Jim Henson productions when he steps away from his muppets (though I do find them fun) and gets into myth, and working especially with Brian Froud. Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal are both excellent for that partnership. Movies that go for drama in their settings draw my attention. Even the fairly recent Bram Stoker's Dracula has merit, because the setting and costumes had a rather gothic, fantastic feel to it. Not perfect, but enough to get me to watch.

Ironically, perhaps, I don't like dramas or romances. Too much like wallowing in misery or hysterical emotion for me in most cases.

I prefer movies of wit more than comedy, if that makes sense. An Ideal Husband and Much Ado About Nothing, for examples.

Lastly, I can't stand any movie where a woman who begins as being quite capable is reduced to a fainting maiden for convenience. The movie had best be spectacular in other ways to keep me.

There is, of course, the occasional exception to every generalization here.

Ali