The second in the Love of Words/Love of .... series. (I think 50 posts per thread is long enough)

I didn't get a chance to post to the original ...of Music, so let me say that I truly do love all music, and B96 spoke of the only artist I would have pointed out (aside from the limited works of Jaco Pastorius, the extensive works of Charles Ives, and any music that makes me want to dance!)

However, I have no interest in exposing myself for long periods of time to music that, used as a vehicle, reflects violence. I just don't want to listen! It has nothing to do with the individuals right to speak or use any words they want no matter how hateful, abusive or ugly they are (I will argue along side them to protect those rights as long as it remains within the context of that arguement, which rarely happens). I control my exposure, as anyone should do (and does naturally) when "it "reaches the "threshold of pain". When I have no choice of escape, it is then time to consider "alternatives" (I wouldn't know where to begin).

Enough ranting... what I thought I would name this thread was Love of Words/Love of Screen but I think we should limit this to Film and save TV for part three... However, fair warning, I am a "Movie Moron". People around me talk all the time about the movies they go see and the people who are in them (as if this matters... casting shmasting [duckingfromskeet])... but my request is not about the people, it is about the different genre. What kind of movies do you like, why and what part, if any, does language play in your tastes. (It would be foolish and against all "principals" to start movie reviews here ).

I like comedies! Silent movies especially, and clearly not because the only sound is an out of tune "parlor" piano, but the genius of Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton and (my favorite) Charlie Chaplin to use just film and no sound or "linguistic jesting" (the piano just doesn't help) aside from the "text box flashes" to keep you "up to date"!

Second would be mysteries (a kind of visual logic problem), but I don't hear about many being made these days.

...annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they're off!