BYB - I have to point out that Bill S. did NOT go following any standardised system of written English, if anything, he started to create his own. Everyone knows that he too, like Helen, was a creative speller. He didn't follow standardised written form, because conservative conformists hadn't had their way with English at that point. I agree with Mr. Ward in that respect; many great writers did not stick to such rules (at least not as stringent ones) concerning their spelling or grammar. Nowdays writers are all but forced to trudge through the sticky mess created by writers of dictionaries/grammar books/school books etc. who are celebrated as heroes.
Now, would anyone here consider reading a book written in 'freespeling'? Not many I expect. I'm certain Shakepeare wouldn't have raised an eyebrow at the thought. People love following rules, even if they're just rules of hearsay. (see the following for examples http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/nonerrors.html)
English as a tool for expression is stifled; barriers have been set up by those who feel they have a right to corner and harness the language, because they can't stand to see it growing beyond themselves. There are a lot of practical reasons that speak for standardised spelling & grammar, but it nevertheless, it restricts people's acceptance to language when used freely to create art.