Doesn't get my vote. Why?

1. I'm naturally reactionary.

2. The language has more sounds than characters, so any system of orthography is going to be far from perfect. I do not see introducing new formations for phonemes as helping in any way, because it would mean that people had to learn that many more.

3. We would lose our etymological connections to the words we read. For instance, as I animadverted long ago, in the infancy of this board, if someone writes chaise longue, I need never have seen one before to get a picture of what it is she might be referring to. Chaise lounge, on the other hand, tells me nothing.

4. Similarly, as IP pointed, our eccentric spelling is a treasure trove of information about pronunciation in the past. Lose it and we lose even more of our ability to comprehend Shakespeare.

5. In any case, if there is a spelling revolution it will come from areas like text messaging, where rebus principles rather than consistency of phonetic content, are much more important. Again, these influences, whilstperhaps 'simplifying' the language in some ways, will not make spelling any easier.

Them's my thoughts, and just because it's you, I'm giving them away for free.

cheer

the sunshine warrior