As promised (to the romantics) or threatened (to the cynics), here are more letters of love.

Confession of love to a Young Lady, whom the writer has only seen a few times

Dear Miss _______:

You will be astonished that a man who has only had the happiness of meeting you a couple of times, should take the liberty of addressing you; but it is impossible for me to resist the impulse. Should you ask what I wish -- no, you know it already, the first glance of my eye, the tone of the first word which I addressed to you, must have revealed it. I love you, dear Emily! Love you with all the fervor of a first affection, and therefore cannot bear to see you depart from here, without having confessed the sentiments which I have entertained for you, and heard from your mouth the sentence, which will make me the happiest or most miserable being upon this earth. In dread uncertainty, I wait the moment which will bring me your decision. Sometimes, when I think of your artless winning ways, my heart fills with hope; sometimes, fear lays her cold hand upon me, when I think how small are my claims to so superior a being as you! But, I have no choice; I cannot live without knowing if I may hope to win your love, and to call you mine. Do not leave me long to endure this miserable state between hope and dispair, between life and death!

Yours, forever,

+++++++++++++

Asking a Father for the hand of his daughter

Honored Sir:

Instead of the business letters which you receive from me from time to time, I send you to-day an epistle, the contents of which may not astonish you a little. I hereby take the liberty of asking you, if the hand and heart of your daughter Augusta, are still disengaged, and if you would approve of me as a son-in-law, if I should succeed in gaining the affections of your amiable daughter. No doubt you will wonder at this question, but I saw Miss A. in H______, about eight weeks ago, and formed a sincere affection for her. Of course, I wish it returned, and should have come to you immediately to sue for the affection of your Augusta, but was prevented week after week by unavoidable business. Even now, difficulties almost insurmountable prevent my travelling, and a protracted absence from my business, and therefore I have taken the liberty of asking you, whether there is any hope to see my wishes crowned with success.

The kindness which you have always evinced for me, makes me rely upon an early answer.

Trusting that under all circumstances you will preserve for me your friendship,

I remain,

Your obedient servant