As requested, here are more sample letters from my 19th century letter writer. The book was printed in 1870, and contains sample correspondence from at least as early as the 1850s. It also includes sample legal and accounting documents, and expounds the new (!) double entry bookkeeping system.

A respectable Citizen asks the hand of a Young Lady:

Dear Miss M____:

Scarcely had I the pleasure of becoming acquainted with you, when I felt the most ardent desire of being united to you for life. Should your heart be still disengaged, and you feel that you can return the affection that I entertain for you, you would make me the happiest man on earth. In thus asking for your hand, I consider it my duty to inform you of my circumstances. I have a complete establishment, and my fortune is such, that I can offer you a life free from the usual cares of existence.

I claim nothing but your amiable person; and your hand is more valuable to me, than all the riches of the world.

Please to decide my fate as soon as possible.

Your favorable answer will fill my heart with joy, for no one can love you more than

Your affectionate friend,

The Lady consents:

Dear Sir:

Your kind letter has confirmed what I have long supposed, from your attentive conduct towards me. I think that I have never given you cause to doubt my affection for you, and if such should have been the case involuntarily, I ask your pardon;, and reckon upon it with the greater confidence, as I can assure you of my warmest gratitude for the affection which you entertain for me. I have always enjoyed the purest pleasure in your society, and shall be happy to cement our relation by nearer and dearer ties, whilst I give you the solemn promise, next to God and to my parents, to look upon you as the sole confident of my heart, the only participator of my joys and sorrows.

I have concealed nothing from my parents; I have read your letter to them; they approve of our union, and leave all to myself. I have decided in your favor, and accept of your heart, anticipating a happy future, for which I find a guarantee in the excellent qualities of your character. I am proud of the love of the man who is esteemed by every body for his rare merit. But esteem is not all I feel for you, it is the purest and most fervent affection, that has made your society so indispensable to me, and has centered all my joys in the sphere of your actions. May I never want opportunities to prove how tenderly I am devoted to you.

Your ever faithful,

++++++++

There are others, but this post is long. I shall offer them another day.