> having taken it upon yourself to tell me what I am thinking ...
No Max, I really didn't mean it that way, but rather more generally... I meant that often people, perhaps yourself included, cringe (the use of 'one' often comes across as strange/pretentious; this problem doesn't exist in other languages!).
I could say that I don't like certain parts of music like so called 'progressive rock' (e.g. JT is not for me), but then again Floyd & Yes are worth a good listen. I'm all for listening to a piece of music without (as far as is possible) preconceptions. I've even enjoyed some country tunes, and that's about the most chastised 'type' of music, in my age group at least. Maybe in 20-30 years someone will have the same trouble trying to make me listen. Anyway, I'm happy if you just aviod listening to HH, AND avoid criticising it too, because you lot have got not the foggiest idea about it.
Mav. I agree that it's hard to throw all of the good old 20th century's E-Music in one pile. After all, post-classical stuff was just designed to, amongst other things, p-off advocates of the Strauss dynasty and the like, i.e. as a direct contradiction to Romanticism.
You still don't see much really new music being presented in any great proportions; I mean, a respected Philharmonic wouldn't touch the stuff. It's as though something has got to be old to be respected.