Many classical music lovers still can't cope with contemporary 'classical' music

Yes, I also listen to a very wide range of music, from very early medieval through to contemporary electronic 'serious' music, with everything from Mozart to Scriabin and Schubert to Shostakovic along the way. Speaking only from my personal slant, BY, I think such generalisations are a bit dodgy, even though you doubtless have a point. I would rather listen to Phillip Glass than most of the mid 20th c. 'post classical' stuff - I would rather go to the dentist than listen to Pierre Boulez! But the particular like and dislikes I have grown to foster over the years (with you on Bowie et al, CK!) probably have little external meaning. Oh, and I hate rap, too - not because of squeemishness over the pathetic self-glory involved, but mainly just because it reduces music from such grand and noble possibilities to such a very small and unsatisfying range of options. For me, it's the current answer to the jew's harp: boring.