Since my wife and I are dieting, she because of being greatly overweight, I to try to fit into the clothes I have bought over the last 2 years or so and haven't been able to wear, the gourmandizing will have to be low-fat and low-cholesterol (so I don't end up with another heart attack), and the drink will be of the grape only.

But that's OK -- it is possible to eat and drink well on a restricted diet; it just takes some figuring out which would make Humpty Dumpty proud.

So I shall go home and cook up a marinara sauce with lots of fresh portobella and white mushrooms (which I have already in the fridge) and have it on spaghetti (imported from Italy) with a green salad with my own nonpareil vinaigrette. And to wash it down, I have a 1.5 liter bottle of a nice red Italian, I forget what, which was on sale last weekend and has been waiting for me all week.

BTW Marianne, how do you get edible tomatoes this time of year? Being on the E. coast of the U.S., there are no local tomatoes available and the ones that come from warmer climes are inedible (to me, at least) -- if from California, they are picked green and shipped in railcars and gassed to make them ripen. They are very pale pink in color and have almost no flavor. We don't eat fresh tomatoes from the time the local ones disappear (October) until they are available again (late June, maybe). Then we go crazy. If we need tomatoes to cook with in the winter, we have to use canned ones, but they wouldn't be good in gazpacho.