Shoshannah, while I found your outburst very disturbing, egregious almost, I will respond by simply pointing out that mav's comments about the rules were made specifically, and exclusively, in regard to rules of language. The extrapolation you made to rules in general was both unwarranted and off-topic. It is very easy for someone to hold rules of grammar in low esteem while still living by other rules. I happen to think that mav's original post could well have been couched more diplomatically, and that its tenor was somewhat confrontational. I think that such an approach is unfortunate and not in the best interests of this Board, and it is my concern for the Board that has moved me to post this publicly, loathe though I was to do so.

This Board as thrived as a community of people with widely, nay hugely, disparate views on almost any subject imaginable. In my opinion, it has thrived because those views have always been expressed calmly, quietly, and with civility, often even with humour. When those differing views begin to be expressed with rancour, aggression, and personal hostility, the unique spirit of AWADtalk comes under threat. I do not ask, nor do I wish, that everyone agree on everything, or even keep quiet about everything they don't agree on, I simply beseech all to maintain the remarkable history of tolerance and civility this Board has established. I also recognise that every person who reads this has the absolute right to think of me, and this post, whatever they will. To all I extend my sincere wish that you may be at peace.