Well - in MY grammar class a long long long time ago, dear Mrs. Kriminger taught us never to end a sentence, or a thought for that matter, with a preposition (in this case, the little 'at'). For instance, you certainly may say "I was at a workshop" but NEVER "A workshop I was at..."

Americans (and perhaps other English speakers) consistently use the expression "Where are you from?" But that is also incorrect, for again, the sentence ends with a preposition! The correct form would be "From where are you?" It may sound awkward, but so what, if it's correct?!

That grammar is different in different languages has nothing to do with it - I was only sharing that little bit of information for your edification!

Of course, I now hear lots of people saying, "He gave that to Joe and I." When I question the use of the pronoun ('I'), the response is that it is more 'proper' to use 'I' when a 'proper name' is used at the same time!

So, pray tell, have all the rules of grammar been swept away in a tide of what is 'proper' or easy or 'in style' and do I HAVE agita over this for nothing? AARRGGH!

Shoshannah

tsuwm - a question: why would I BE agitated but HAVE agita?????

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com