Oh! Now I see.
You are right tsuwm, as I re-read his paragraph I too find Lehane's thoughts somewhat worthwhile and different.
Sorry.

Ok, who wrote this... (a translation)

By contrast, today, when the herd animal in Europe is the only one who attains and distributes honours, when “equality of rights” all too easily can get turned around into equality of wrongs— what I mean is into a common war against everything rare, strange, privileged, the higher men, the higher souls, the higher duty, the higher responsibility, the creative fullness of power and mastery—these days the sense of being noble, of willing to be for oneself, of being able to be different, of standing alone and of having to live by one’s own initiative—these are part of the idea “greatness,” and the philosopher will reveal something of his own ideal if he proposes “The man who is to be great is the one who can be the most solitary, the most hidden, the most deviant, the man beyond good and evil, lord of his virtues, a man lavishly endowed with will—this is precisely what greatness is to be called: it is able to be as much a totality as something multi-faceted, as wide as it is full.” And to ask the question again: today—is greatness possible?

Last edited by jenny jenny; 06/08/13 01:20 AM. Reason: to add new excerpt