I think paying bills should be a task ... reminds me it is real money ... also keeps me more cognizant of the finances in general, seeing the numbers, going through the checks. Easier to spot an error or a kited check, etc.
Perhaps I am simply old fashioned but I do no personal banking business over the Net. I have one credit card that I use exclusively for updates on the McAfee thingie and that's about it.
On other hand, perhaps some lean, tough years taught me to be more money conscious.
I went to a seminar for seniors on "Scams" about a year ago and a woman spoke on how her identity was stolen and the hell she went though for FIVE years before it ended after they caught the thief.
The police officer conducting the seminar noted the thief is not always caught and we should check statements, guard PINs etc etc.
The theft in this particular instance was done this way :
Her car was stolen. A police officer stopped the car for a minor violation. The thief (a woman) said she had lost her license but offered the registration that was in glove compartment. The officer called up name of registered owner on the computer and wrote THE THIEF a ticket which included The real car-owner's SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER.
The thief, armed with that info was off and running.
It happens more than you think. The woman's bank accounts were cleaned out,the thief called the bank and changed the PIN number and got a new Debit Card mailed, charges on (new) credit cards were HUGE, her apartment was entered and cleaned out,(they had her ID) her credit was ruined. Sheer hell for five years.
After hearing that I went to DMV and had my SS number taken off my driver's license ($10 fee.) Subsequent license, this year, I checked the box eliminating SS from license.
I understand that in some states your Social Security number is your license number ...
I do not give my SS as an "identifier" and when I refuse EVERY TIME I have been given a random account number.
Am I Cassandra? A lone voice in the wilderness?
Ahhh, well. Not the first time.
wow