I've heard that direct payment didn't really take off in the US. True or false? Do you personally use cash a lot?

To this Old Lady, direct payment IS cash!
I have two friends in high banking positions ... neither has a debit card. Hmmmmm.
Of Troy makes an excellent point about the stealing of PIN numbers and cloning of cards and the $50 liability for credit cards.
At my bank recently the Head Teller asked if I wouldn't like using their new debit cards. She went to extoll the virtues of said cards.
"So much easier than writing out checks," she said enthusiastically!
"No thanks," I replied, "I don't want to lose the float."
"Oh, they never mentioned that in our seminar" she said with a puzzled look.
"Float" is the time between when you write a check and it gets through the system and the debit is posted to your account.
Interest bearing checking accounts compute on the "average daily balance."
Pay your bills on Friday afternoon and the check isn't debited to you until probably Monday or even Tuesday. Or Wednesday in event of Monday holidays. With Debit Cards the deduction is immediate!
Doesn't sound like much $$$ ...?? ... Think about how long you'll have a checking account. I've had one since 1950 when I turned 21. Probably earned enough for a RT ticket to Ireland over the years.
Ask yourself : If Debit Cards did not make money for the Bank, would they offer them?
Just a random thought...

wow