Remus, you're absolutely right that I based my comments on my impression, and - really - I meant no insult. As a biologist, I have always noted the almost perfect parallel between human language and organic evolution. Both seem to follow the same rules, at least on superficial inspection. My comment was a way of saying that compared to the natural evolution of other languages to their present states, Esperanto seems, well - is - artificial. As to your other point, I'll take your word for it that there are a great and increasing number of speakers of Esperanto, but I'll offer that none have it as their sole, native language. It seems more a useful hobby than one of the world's languages.

On the other hand, I will not take your word for it that Esperanto is growing as fast as any other natural language. Even if I spoke Urdu from birth, it would be hard not to notice that there are a tremendous number of non-native English speakers throughout the world, and I would be willing to bet that many more people around the world are learning English as a second language than Esperanto.

Last edited by beck123; 02/26/10 04:22 AM.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous