Originally Posted By: Fieldgunner

indeed... but it really wouldnt count as a new word, just an extension of 'robot' which of course is from Karel Capeks Czech Play RUR, the word meaning 'serf'/'slave'.

anyone who knows anything about robots already knows that but the parameters of this discussion were as follws:

"a word exists before the concept does"

the word "robotics" existed before the concept of robotics did in just the same way that the words artificial and satellite existed as words before Clarke put them together to describe a concept that did not exist when he coined the phrase.

I am also confused by this
Quote:
its been quite some time since I heard anyone insist that 'Robot' be pronounced correctly with the 't' silent
"Correctly"? By whose fiat? I do not speak czech and feel no obligation to try to pronounce the English word 'robot' as if it were the czech word from which it was derived any more than I feel obliged to pronounce yacht as if it were the dutch word from which it was derived. Defining 'correctly' as "common in standard variants" the robot does not have a silent "t" in English and since it is now an English word that is enough for me.