I see that both Firefox and Google Chrome (and I assume IE as well) have built-in spell checkers that check what you're typing into web forms and text fields. These seem to be enabled by default, but you can disable them through tools/options. They allow you to add dictionaries or to add single words. You seem to be describing something that works at the OS level which overrides this!

edit: upon further investigation I see that Firefox has convoluted instructions on how to delete a word you've previously added to your dictionary, whereas Chrome warns that "At this time, it's not possible to remove a word from the dictionary."

editē: interestingly (at least to a browser nerd), where firefox and chrome both suggest automatic and 'auto magic' (for automagic), Safari helpfully adds auto-magic. (I added automagically to the firefox dictionary (all suggest Firefox for the latter), and it is not recognized outside of firefox.) if you copy text into the form, errors are not caught unless you happen to move the cursor through a misspelled word.

Last edited by tsuwm; 04/05/09 12:53 PM.