I remember listening to Bob Novak on the now defunct CNN Crossfire show. He used the word "canard" quite a few times, and he used it with such vehemence, it was almost comical. I found this quote on the Web. He was talking about his involvement in the Valarie Plame matter. http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlDC/te...issed_40185.asp

MR. HUNT: You also said this wasn't a concerted campaign and yet they did talk to, besides you, a number of other media outlets about Valerie Plame - the White House.

MR. NOVAK: I don't know how many they really did talk to. There was a lot of stories out that they fed this story to six people and they finally came to me, which was really a canard. I know that nobody ever sought me out and said, gee, we've have got a hell of a story of Valerie Plame. This came out in the course with my source, who later, through a third party, said it was inadvertently that he brought her name up. And then the other people that I checked out with, Karl Rove and the then-CIA-spokesman, Bill Harlow, I made the phone calls to.