Originally Posted By: The Pook
Originally Posted By: etaoin
I know lots of Windows users, that with prudent use, have very few troubles with their machines.

******As I had said, Mac is superior to Bill in almost all respects except editing, and most folk simply don't have much need for this capability and so once they have learned to cope with its inferior speed and need for virus protection, find it perfectly satisfactory. However, if you use Mail you will have noted it's impossible even to highlight-and-drag a phrase or para, where you have to instead resort to highlight, Cut, reposition, Paste. You have also probably noticed that in attempting to reposition a single word it doesn't work the same way each time compared with the instant dragging capability in Outlook

**That is because with Mac you need to observe a certain delay. You have to remember how long it is and where to insert it: before releasing the mouse key, after releasing it, during the second click before dragging, etc etc etc etc Little things like this could drive one up the proverbial digital wall

***Also in attempting to highlight you may have noticed that the shading doesn't always go where you want it but instead assumes a start position apparently at random

***If I have repeated myself forgive me, as newcomers often don't scan foregoing posts

Prudent Use = plain vanilla, do as you are told, only use MS products and never exercise anything like imagination or creativity?

***Sorry Pook but I'm not quite sure to whom this was meant to apply nor whether it was pejorative

You only have to visit Microsoft forums and newsgroups to see the thousands of disaffected and frustrated clients of Vista, many of whom are professional IT people and still can't make it do what it was meant to do.

****You are quite right about this, as confirmed by my very competent IT No. 1 Son Lee. Vista is so bad that at least one prestigious firm refuses to use it and insisted Microsoft return them to its former incarnation. This and virus immunity are the two chief reasons I switched over in spite of my objections to Mac. In time Mac will come to realize its mistake in respect of editing and provide a crossover to Word, as with Outlook, and that's one reason I'm sticking with it

There are certain things, like mixed networking and driving a whole lot of very common brand peripherals, that Vista is even worse at than previous incarnations of the MS OS.

*******No doubt. When Mac finally realizes its egregious error and provides some editing capability however, I'm sure I'll find it perfectly satisfactory

dalehileman