The (EXTREMELY few) 'agnostics' in the ID camp seem to have a political agenda (e.g. Berlinski).

I don't know that I agree with everything Dawkins says, but I agree with most of the specific commentary I've read and heard. Also, I was very fond of his book, "The Blind Watchmaker." Most of his specific comments are reasonable (to me), but a lot of what his opponents have said about his views don't seem to resemble his actual views as I've heard him express them.

There is, of course, the title of his book, "The God Delusion," (which I have not yet read and therefore neither endorse nor reject), but what else would one expect an atheist to write?

Issue: There is a resurgence of religious people who want to present to the public that science supports their specific religion. There are some very specific areas in which science might have some to say. For example, 'belief' occurs in human brains so it's conceivable that neurologists might be be able to study it. But "god" (as most people understand it) is a supernatural phenomenon and is therefore outside the scope of science. There are various ID advocates who are very coy on this and will say, "We don't say 'the designer is God' ... it MIGHT BE an alien. There are nuances to this, but the vast majority of these guys are very clear (J. Wells, et. al.) that the designer is god. In the Dover case, one thing that irritated the (conservative) judge was the fact that the ID crowd had replaced the "creator" references in their book with "designer" and then in various other ways tried to cover their tracks.

We allow religionists to influence scientific discussion without challenging them on it - and as a result (partly of this and other things) we have a generation of people are absolutely convinced they "understand science" and yet who do not. On youtube, I regularly come across apologists, for example, and even people with modest backgrounds in science who are utterly confused on the basics, but think they're just fine.

A specific example is the almost universal misunderstanding of what a scientific law is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTaiP04UlxE