Originally Posted By: Myridon
Not this Tuesday (the Tuesday in this week), but next Tuesday. Your way "this Tuesday" and "next Tuesday" mean the same thing - if and only if it's not after Tuesday -

Yeah, so? What's wrong with synonymous phrases?

Quote:
no one has brought up the question: "What does "last Tuesday" mean?"

It means the last Tuesday that happened, whether or not it is in the same week as the day you are talking. The only unambiguous way of saying it is "Tuesday last week" if that's what you mean. If it's Monday, then "last Tuesday" has to refer to last week. Otherwise, in order not to be misunderstood, I would say "Tuesday last week."

Quote:
My way is, no matter if it's Monday or Wednesday, last Tuesday is still in last week, this Tuesday is still this week, and next Tuesday is in next week.

I suppose in practice that is not so confusing since if it were past you would be using a past tense verb with it - it was this Tuesday. But that sounds really strange to me, and could still be confused with a past perfect - you might be saying that something WAS scheduled for the Tuesday that is coming up but now isn't or you aren't sure.

John: "When was that meeting we were going to have?"
Mary: "It was this Tuesday"

Is his "was" a past perfect/imperfect? Is she using a past perfect and he has missed it? Guess it depends what day of the week it is. My way, next Tuesday always means next Tuesday regardless of the week it is in. And it means the same as "this Tuesday," which never means "last Tuesday."

Last edited by The Pook; 05/07/08 02:08 AM.