I would not presume to tell you how you should feel; however, I can't help but feel odd about your bringing this up.

I have taught my children to use Sir and Ma'am, but to also refer to adults by their given names instead of as, e.g., "Mr. Smith."
Sometimes they will refer to the woman of the household as "Miss Barbie." But generally, they will address adults as "John" or "Jane." Teachers are the exception, but my oldest, for example, is a HS student attending the physics club at a local university. She usually refers to the professors running it by "Joe" and "Harold."

Sometimes, however, adults will say to them "I prefer that children address me as 'Mr. Smith'" and of course the kids will comply. I don't consider them to be rude for stating their preference, or pompous, or egotistical. In fact, I (and my kids) appreciate that they don't let this bother them and fester, but just state their druthers up front. It's very simple and mature, I think.

As for the judge giving examples from his own experience - I appreciate it. If you don't, then please just delete the mailings for the remainder of the week. Also, I hope we occasionally have other guest wordsmiths and that they, too, will use examples from their own experiences.