How curious, i never thought of poe not being respected in US. He lived various places here, one was the then town of Fordham, (now a neighborhood in the Bronx)

the cottage he rented when he lived there still stands, it was moved a few hundred yards, and a park created around it (poe park) when i was a teen, the apartment building we lived in had a plaque on it, about poe (the apartment building occupied the original location of Poe's cottage.

(Bob Young who used to post here, lives in baltimore, close to St Elizabeth's hospital, (where there is plaque noting Poe died there, and Richmond Va has a professional sport team (football?) called The Raven's (named in part to commemorate Poe.) He might not have been appreciated in his own time, but his short stories are part of most HS reading lists and his poems are regularly included in anthologoies.

not just the raven, but annabelle lee, and for helen, (that i can think of off the top of my head!)

simon and garfunkle set annebelle lee to music (and included it on one of their early ablums, too)

Last edited by of troy; 02/08/07 10:07 PM.