Quote:

>>see the past as a panorama in front<<

As did Merlin, who travels backward in time (toward the past) in The Once and Future King. [Note to self: Time to re-read that favorite. ]

I re-read that not too long ago. What a great book! Merlin's curious reverse-time-line adds richness to the novel that I only appreciated on re-reading. Like when young Wart first spies Merlin, and Merlin seems unhappy. On first reading this didn't make an impression on me, but on re-reading I realized that to Merlin, what has just happened is he's said goodbye to Arthur and he knows he will never see him again. I get choked up thinking about it every time. *sniff*

Quote:

This is very interesting. I'm trying to imagine the past in the front and the future in the back and I find it difficult.

The concept makes sense, you lived the past, you've seen it, so it is in front where you're eyes face. But our whole system of thinking "looks" forward.

Picture yourself riding in the back of a station wagon, in a rear-facing seat. You can't see where you're going, but you can see where you've been. So the future is what is behind you, literally, and the past is what is before your eyes, to be known and commented upon.

Last edited by Alex Williams; 06/17/06 12:08 AM.