I took an on-line spelling quiz this morning. On the Check Your Answers page there was a link to "10 More Words You Simply Must Know", so of course I went there. As a matter of interest, I'll put them all, though it will make this a very long post. I'll put my question-word in bold.

1. Abhorrent:
1. "repugnant: arousing strong feelings of repugnance or disapproval"
2. "incompatible: incompatible or conflicting with something (literary)"

The odor in his apartment was abhorrent.

2. Masticate:
1. "to grind and pulverize food inside the mouth, using the teeth and jaws"
2. "grind to pulp: to grind or crush something until it turns to pulp"
Be sure to masticate thoroughly before swallowing.

3. Paradigm:
1. "typical example: a typical example of something"
2. "model that forms basis of something: an example that serves as a pattern or model for something, especially one that forms the basis of a methodology or theory"
3. "set of all forms of word: a set of word forms giving all of the possible inflections of a word"
4. "relationship of ideas to one another: in the philosophy of science, a generally accepted model of how ideas relate to one another, forming a conceptual framework within which scientific research is carried out"

The heiress who has become famous for being infamous is the paradigm of celebutantes.

4. Disseminate: "to distribute or spread something, especially information, widely, or become widespread"

Some publications may not want to disseminate rumors, but many tabloids make it their primary business.

5. Promulgate:
1. "declare something officially: to proclaim or declare something officially, especially to publicize formally that a law or decree is in effect"
2. "make known: to make something widely known"

The City Council has approved the regulation and will promulgate it soon.

6. Pestiferous:
1. "annoying: troublesome or annoying"
2. "causing infectious disease: breeding or spreading a virulently infectious disease"
3. "corrupting: evil and corrupting (formal)"

"The pestiferous mosquitoes enveloped the campers as they sat around their campfire--a persistent annoyance in an otherwise pleasant evening.

7. Ostentatious: "marked by a vulgar display of wealth and success designed to impress people"

They were actually deep in debt, but their ostentatious parties were the talk of the neighborhood.

8. Sternutatory: "causing or resulting in sneezing"

Cat dander is sternutatory to me.

9. Salutary:
1. "producing or contributing to a beneficial effect; beneficial; advantageous"
2. "wholesome; healthful; promoting health"

"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness." -- Charles Darwin

10. Pugnacious: "having a quarrelsome or combative nature: truculent"

He was pugnacious, frequently landing himself in detention for fighting at recess.

I am also wondering how long pestiferous has been a word, but my real question is: who came up with celebutante?