|About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us|
You are not logged in. [Log In] Wordsmith.org » Forums » General Topics » Wordplay and fun » Double Dactyl Register User Forum List Calendar Active Topics Search FAQ
#156038 - 02/22/06 02:38 PM Double Dactyl
Loc: Spam Factory
At the suggestion of another user, here is a thread for double dactyls.
I found a nice, concise list of the rules for double dactyls at thie web page:
Here's a detailed list of rules for constructing a double dactyl:
(1) The entire poem is a single sentence.
(2) There are two stanzas of four lines each.
(3) All lines except lines four and eight are two dactylic metrical feet in length.
(4) The first line is usually a rhyming nonsense phrase. For example, "Higgledy piggledy."
(5) The second line often, but not always, introduces the topic of the poem. If you are writing about a person, it helps if the name of the person you are writing about is naturally in the form of a double dactyl. For example, "Hans Christian Andersen."
(6) One line within the second stanza (often the sixth line) is a six-syllable, double-dactylic word, usually an adverb or adjective. For example, "Parthenogenesis."
(7) The fourth and eighth lines are not double dactyls. Instead, these lines consist of one dactyl plus a stressed syllable.
(8) The fourth and eighth lines rhyme with one another. Given the special form of the fourth and eight lines as mentioned in the preceding rule, it follows that the final, rhyming syllable of these lines must be a stressed syllable.
Here's my first-ever attempt (now edited upon further [and by further I mean initial] reading of the rules myself):
Leslie and Leigh Keno
Praising the furniture
Said as they grinned:
“It’s neither Empire nor
Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired!
See how it’s pinned?”
Generic Double Dactyl
If they will fit
Thusly redacted rhe-
Edited by Alex Williams (02/25/06 08:11 AM)
Forum Stats 8851 Members
Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members Hanaalmutairi, miriamki, Bhavi, MortezaSamiei, Chirayu
8851 Registered Users
Who's Online 0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online. Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
endymion6 95 LukeJavan8 80 wofahulicodoc 62 May 30 A C Bowden 26 Tromboniator 10 BranShea 1 FormLacksClarity 1 tsuwm 1
wwh 13858 Faldage 13803 Jackie 11613 tsuwm 10531 LukeJavan8 7494 Buffalo Shrdlu 7210 AnnaStrophic 6511 Wordwind 6296 wofahulicodoc 5848 of troy 5400
Board Rules · Mark all read Contact Us · Wordsmith.org · Top
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.
Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat
© 2014 Wordsmith