Many folks don't realize it, but in King Arthur's time quests for the holy grail were not actually the sole province of men. This is the obscure story of Lady Pamela, who grabbed sexism by the horns and cast it down.

As he got older, Arthur had realized that he was having a difficult time keeping track of which knights were out on a quest and which had signed themselves onto the waiting list. So he had a scroll created to remind him. One fine day he learned that Sir Humphrey, his most impecunious knight, was in a peck of trouble. Sir Humphrey could not afford a charger, Dodge or otherwise), and got around the country on a cart pulled by a goat, hence he was popularly known as Sir Humphrey Goatcart.

Humphrey, it seems, had been captured by a fierce and immortal dragon which had wounded him grievously and then confined him to the nether reaches of a cave. The dragon intended to slow roast Sir Humphrey the next time hunger pangs struck. So Arthur called for the keep of the scroll.

"Who is the next knight signed up for a quest?" asked the good King. Upon being told that the next name on the list was actually that of Lady Pamela, he called her into the royal presence.

"Pray explain to me," thundered Arthur, "why your name appears on this scroll."

"Because, Your Magesty, I believe that women can do everything that men can do and I seek to prove it," replied the bold Lady Pamela. After pondering, the King decided to let her go on the quest, perhaps believing that the dragon would take care of this upstart woman.

So Lady Pamela put on her fe-mail and strapped on her trusty sword and set out from Camelot. She soon found the lair of the dragon, chopped off its head, and entered the cave, where she started to bind up Sir Humprey's wounds. Sir Humphrey looked over her shoulder and saw that the dragon had regenerated its head and was ready to pounce upon the woman who was tenderly nursing his wounds. This caused Sir Humphrey to utter those immortal words, "Slay it again, Pam."

TEd