Quote:

...seventy-six...seventy-seven...

Quote:

uh, maybe they get more girls?

Think a bit, etaoin. Winter birds are not like everready human bunny rabbits, they court only in the spring.

Quote:

I certainly did address the problem. Your question, so it would seem, asks for behavioral incentives, and I provided several, of which one might be sufficient for a black bird... And I would hasten to add that this behavior in itself does not make them leaders, but guards. I will be interested to see what solution you offer, and what supporting evidence. Your speculations can be interesting but, all things being equal, one speculation is as good as another.

Now inselpeter, you really must take care with your semantics.
In "speculations", as in everything, all things are never equal,
and since nothing at all can be "proved" absolutely, we are left with our attempt to understand the World by reasoning with words.

But we won't get far if you keep anthropomorphizing birds as "guards" and not "leaders".

...seventy-eight....seventy-nine...

You know, Milo, I happen to think you can be pretty funny, so I read you, but what you call a discussion is such a heap styrene bear traps as to be at best perplexing. If I am anthropomorphizing, it is only following your lead (and I should know better). 'Twas you who first suggested the role of leader. This is IP signing off this evidently non-interactive thread. All the best, mate.