>Even though it is illegal, many college students obtain and consume alcoholic beverages. If the police arrive...

I suppose that I was being flippant (although I really am not sure that I could have got through without alcohol). I'm sure that some of the things that I think are perfectly acceptable will seem strange to others. I think that the whole structure of student social life when I was a student revolved around "going down the pub". It may have just been for an hour from 10pm until closing time at 11pm and rarely involved drunken behaviour or it could have been for an hour or so after lectures in the Students Union bar. It seems strange that we could have been looking over our shoulders in case there was a police raid in the same way as if we'd been dealing in Class A drugs.

I think that the "pub" is a rather different place here than a bar in America. In most of the places where I have lived we regularly take the children for lunch in the pub, I don't remember being worried about the effect it may be having on their moral fibre.