I am finally about to submit my test. There is one thing, however, that boggles my mind. In this article about Theodore Roosevelt, here's the problematic segment:

"...I think it was a big problem for TR as to what to do because he believed himself I think all of his life inferior as a human being to his father. He had to go into politics in part because his father had been defeated by politics. That was his one defeat and then beaten by the bosses in a brief foray into politics at the end of his life and there was the one thing that Theodore Roosevelt could do that his father didn't. He beat the political boss."

The article says "that was his one defeat", and instead of telling about his one defeat, it continues with "and then", and right after that they say a sentence about this one defeat.

It seems to me this sentence would make more sense if they put a comma after "defeat", and revoke the "and then"... otherwise, what do they mean by "and then"? how does it modifies the sentence? it personally doesn't make any sense to me.