Oh, Jo, you are so right, most US coverage is repetative, and boring--and the best solution is to avoid it as much as possible.

I recognize that i have this deep seated anti-anglosaxon bent-- I try to keep it check-- and not let it influence me-- (but i always thing bloody brits!) But inspite of that-- i try to read the economist. Its not perfect-- but it, unlike most US "new weekly" acutaly covers the world--

US news and world report-- is pretty short on the world report part-- and news in general in US is covers as--"Plane crashes-- 3 americans killed, detail to follow-- and the details are jumbo jet crashes into school, or hospital or what ever-- but the lead is 3 americans killed---and it there had been no americans aboard, it might not make it to TV news!-- the times (NY Times) is a bit better, it actually acknowledges there is world beyond the US borders.

Most TV station (ie the big three, CBS, NBC, and ABC) no longer even have foriegn corespondants-- and use BBC stringers, or independant news organization reporters.

and as for the weather! the US is a big geographic mass-- there is always interesting weather going on somewhere, and it always makes the news--