I like to look at the quotations at the bottom of the word of the day. Usually I smile or think for a moment, sometimes I save them for future reference. Sometimes they really bother me.

I've managed to delete the one from a few days ago from Pablo Picasso. It was something along the lines of "Don't put off until tomorrow anything that you could die left undone". I'm sure someone will be able to post the exact quotation for me (it isn't in the archive).

That really bothered me. I prefer to live by the thought "Never do anything today that can't be left until a week next Friday at 4.30pm."

Whilst I recognise that the piles of clutter which dominate my life might not be to everyone's taste, I prefer to "batch" things: Finance things when I really have to; Thinking things when I feel like thinking; Washing when there are no more socks; Tidying up things at least once a year, if necessary ... you get the drift.

I was wondering if Picasso's philosophy would work for a working mum like me. I really do too many things at a time, too many half done things at any one time. I think it would make my life a misery - its hard enough to get to bed as it is with late night ironing and trying to get excited about the nutritional contents of the next day's packed lunches. How pleasant it must be to sit in an artist's studio with lunch brought on a tray and only "important things" to think about.

On the other hand I thought - if I die tomorrow I won't have to do the piles of ironing and as long as the house isn't actually infested with rats it won't really matter. The only problem is that it could get a bit out of hand with everything getting even more out of control than I could stand.

Do any of the quotations ever launch you into uncontrolled ramblings?