and while 'good' and 'will' seem to be natural partners, i know will (and willful) as critizism.

i was a 'willful' child. that is, i had a mind of my own, and expected to be able to act on my 'wishes' and behave as i thought fit. (it was one of the sharpest critizism my mother hurled at me..)

my willfulness was expressed in how i wanted to dress, or to wear my hair, or how i wanted to knit, (i don't knit in a conventional european style) and in a hundred of other small ways. (you'd think to hear my mother complain about me, i was a convicted felon before i was 10, instead of well behaved catholic school girl (that i mostly was)

Now days, i would agree, i was (and remain) willful.

in catholisism, (and in christianity, too) its considered a good thing not to be willful.
you are expected to conform to 'god's will" (as it presented and interpted by the church..)

the lovely shaker hymn has the words: "when true simplisity is gained, to bow and to bend i will not be ashamed" and the bending here is bending one's will to conform--to act as it has been decided you should act.

nuns (and some priests) and most brothers in catholic orders take vows of obedience.. they promise to yeild, to not be willful, but to obey. (and what's more to do so cheerfully!)

and the comment "Do what you will, i wash my hands of you." (is that scripture?) is not one of 'well wishing' or reguard.