faldage asks-- Is there a word to describe this kind of word? (icebox used instead of refrigerator)

(and she who, being irish, suffers from a congenital defect common to the irish-- she has no neck what ever-- and clearly doesn't take after her (mythical) father's side of the family!) replies:
archaic? obsolete?

i for one– "punch in" a number on my phone--usually into memory--so i can autodial–
and when watching "The Third Man" --I explained to my son what was meant by a "station to station" long distance call-- since we always now dial direct-- to everywhere--not station to station or person to person... and certainly we don't call up and schedule a long distance call! (he thought it quaint..)

and i buy new CD's--not albums.. (and i am still trying to get rid of some of the old vinyl! my kid keep saying they want it--but only if i store it...)

the NYTimes reported more than a year ago that telegraph was a dead word-- since there aren't any more "telegraphs" left-- no one sends or receives them, and even AT&T amended its legal name to AT&T from American Telephone and Telegraph--, so telegraph doesn't exist as a company name.
We fax, or email, voicemail, message– but we don't telegraph

I don't scrub my clothes-- I toss a load in the washer-- I do shift into high gear--but that only because i like driving stick--(I learned on a car with "3 on the tree" but now drive "5 on the floor")-- and who knows, maybe for a time, people did "icebox left overs" but we definately refrigerate them in my house--other wise we have found they get "pre eaten"

(Pre eaten was our term for "old" left overs-- some times it was evident that mold or some other organism had gotten arround to eating them before you did-- sometimes you just suspected it with out direct evidence..)