Maybe jazz is not sheltered-- in the past 10 year, almost all american dishwasher have built in self cleaning filters-- so i have never had to clean a filter in my dishwasher.

Now in my first house, we had a sump pump-- and it had a filter..

Even though i was the "handi man" about the house--(my ex husband was defined as not knowing the working end of screwdriver by his engineer father), I very quickly figured out that i would never be able to clean the filter on the sump pump... No matter how many times my ex tried to show me how easy it was, i could never quite get the hang of it-- and i always let him do it..

I tend to specialize in supply side plumbing, and hire out waste side plumbing work.. (which is how i know that plumbers don't have to be able to lead work any more-- i had a "Wiped lead" joint that failed in a waste pipe-- i ended up redoing the entire bath-- since i had to replace the waste pipe right into the stack-- and even cut into the stack to fit in a new joint-- I did none of the work--waste side plumbing! but oh did i pay!) So jazz might not be spoiled-- but smart--wait! there is no "might be" -- Jazz is certainly clever enough to avoid it, if he wanted to.!