It's good to be back.

'Product Placement' is not quite the direction of this one as the essence of the meaning I seek is not the actual commercial process.

Last time I was here I sought a term for the process by which meaning is stripped from something. I suppose I seek the opposite of this, the process by which meaning is given to objects.

I'm not sure if there is a specific term but 'to imbue with meaning' is as close as I can get at the moment. People have done it for thousands of years, creating mythologies and beliefs and meaning out of material objects (i.e. idolatry, nature worship, paganism and all those other condescending religious terms) and in our day we are merely doing it with commercial objects, seeking definition and meaning by the brand name we wear. We create, hold fast to and identify with the meaning we give to brand names.

What is the process by which individuals - as opposed to the marketing geniuses pushing to get individuals to buy into the meaning they seek to create - surrender themselves over to giving meaning to these objects?

Is there one term, an older term, one that succinctly nails it?