I have possibly conflicting information on the origin of the word 'Vatican.' It clearly derives from the name of its location which is "Mons Vaticanus” or Mount Vatican.

Now the origin of the Latin word 'Vaticanus' is either an Etruscan loan word or it has the same root as 'vatic' which means 'oracular.' Or perhaps it is both! After all we do not know the meaning of Etruscan loan words.

Vatican City includes Mons Vaticanus. Mons Vaticanus was either the site of a temple to the goddess Cybele or it was not. There are accounts that support either contention.

It should be no surprise that there were pagan shrines on most of the Seven Hills of Rome at one time or another since Rome was the great center of Paganism which favored 'high places' for its important structures and their accompanying rites.

It should also be no surprise that there is a certain sensitivity to all these Pagan associations and connotations among the followers of the Bishop of Rome, known in some circles as the Pope. Pope I understand means 'father.' The Pope is referred to as the 'Holy Father' so 'Pope' is a familiar short-hand for the full title

Despite a reflex denial of the oracular connotations of the word 'Vatican', it appears appropriate. Consider the 'apostolic succession' from Peter which it is alleged that the Pope enjoys. What is an 'Apostle' except the highest prophetic office of the Christian faith?

The word 'Apostle' I believe is of Greek origin and means 'sent' or 'placed against.' That was the function of the Apostles. They were sent against the Pagan world of the time to testify against it and for the gospel of the Messiah.

The Pope occupies a prophetic office which in Pagan terms is that of a Christian 'soothsayer' who conveys truths about the present and future.

In the writings of the putative founder of the See of Rome we have the following command:

"If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:11

If the head of a branch of the Christian religion does not speak oracularly when all his followers should do so, then what are we to think?

Thoughtfully, BraveLad