My daughter wants to take Home Ec. Her sister did before her. I wish I could have taken it when I was in HS, but boys had to take shop - a class in which I learned absolutely nothing of value and which was dominated by boys who were free to harrass me. Most commonly that sort of class was taught by a contemptible ignoramous.

She also wants to take tech tools, which on the surface is a good course, but in fact was taught by an incompetent boob when my older daughter took it. But she wants to take it anyway - and she's really annoyed at the decisions she's forced into making because of the rules. She's officially decided to not try for orchestra - after taking strings the last three years and being lead violin the last two. Unfortunate choice and she's still fuming about it, but otherwise she won't get to take these things (Home ec, tech tools) that she really needs for what she wants out of the experience.

Additionally, the "non-elective" language survey course might be good for a typical student who wanted a bunny grade, but she despises easy courses, has surveyed a number of languages on her own (mandarin, spanish, german), and already knows what language she wants to study.

It occurs to me there may be some perceived "problem" with kids only taking bunny electives. I say, let them and their parents worry about it.

Thing is I've given her an assignment some months ago - between now and 11th grade build yourself a list of things that you like to do: cook, talk, write, build, etc. and a list of subjects that you really like studying.

k