I ignore some of the comments here (AWAD), or don’t read them, or stop reading as soon as I come across one. That doesn’t mean that I think it’s ok.
As a lab rat, when I hear the word beaker I usually think of two things: “A glass jar with no handle and a flat bottom” or that puppet from the Muppet Show. A former co-worker gave me the puppet version a year or so ago saying that it looked like me. I don’t agree. It has more hair and a different colored lab coat. All the same he hangs onto some of the electrical cables that are plugged into the 5’ high receptacle in the wall of my cubicle. He seems nervously pensive although I very infrequently blow anything up anymore, especially at my desk.
A former boss of mine, a degreed geologist, functioning as an analytical chemist, used to dole out date-of-hire anniversary presents that the company unwittingly purchased for us from the Fisher Scientific catalogue. One year she ordered a Pyrex beaker with a handle, which was meant to be a beer mug. It was complete with volumetric graduations on the side. I think they called it a Labmug.
Here in southern NE, its always mug (big) or cup, unless you’re in a lab, (although you often hear “parlor” when what’s meant is living room).
Oddly enough, to me anyhow, my current boss is a different degreed geologist, employed as an analytical chemist/supervisor. (I’m just lucky I guess) She presents Home Depot gift cards at the holidays, which is nice too.
We enjoy Keeping Up Appearances at our home too. Such lovely things!
I will not comment on my experiences regarding mug shots.