EDIT
i misunderstood the text of another thread.
i was not clear how much of the text was a quote and how much was added editorial. the original text (now in white)will be deleted in 10 days- for now now its should be ignored.
in an other thread, a rather insulting comment was made.
i have no intention of posting anything in reply to a general insult.
a number of people read the same post, and decided, to for what ever reason, not to comment either.

there was a discussion some 3 years ago about mug shots, and toby mugs were part of the discussion,(as were an number of other topics!) in case anyone is interested, you can find the discussion here:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=etymologies&Number=21236

i didn't reread the entire thread, but wonder about 'beakers' --is beaker a more common term for a mug in the UK?
Keeping Up Appearences is a perennial rerun (here in NY on our PBS station), and the choice is Hyacinth's "hand painted periwinkle dalton china" or a beaker and neighbor elizabeth always asks for "a beaker, please!"

and recieves her tea in what i would call a mug.
feel free to continue the discussion here, or in the older thread, (or to ignore!)
Edit continued:
it is important to somehow be able to sort out what is a quote and what isn't, and when a post has been edited after it has been responded to.

in the FAQ there are instructions for how to use color, and to create italics, or to bold, there is even a
In reply to:

this is a quote

box (rarely used here.. for what ever reasons.)

when a poster is in the habit of mixing quotes with his own editorial comments, it becomes easy to misunderstand the comments, and their sourse. I made a mistake.