DDT might not be (as) toxic when ingested(vs. asperated)but its does accumulate in human fat tissue, and it can be found human breast milk.(what is the acceptable dose of DDT for a nursing infant?)

it does seem to be toxic to birds.

i never read silent spring, (i have read other articles about DDT).

Yes, i almost always agree human life should be valued higher than animal life.. but.. we humans are dependent on many animals, and i hope my granddaughter doesn't end living in a world stripe mine of its beauty, with only domesicated animals alive.

There are no more bears in queens--(a local history mentions the story of queens man traveling a scant mile from his home to his church, and encountering a bear on the way (circa 1654)) and i am very glad of it. but i would be sad if there were no bears anywhere in NYS. or US.

NYS has a greater percentage (and except for alaska, greater acreage) of park land than any other state in the union. NYS also has some of the highest taxes in the US.
I don't mindthe taxes too much. NYS parks are huge, and create complete, unbroken habitates. I like what my tax money buys.

as dicussed here, red hawk tails have 'learned' that city scapes can be "good" nesting places.. (cities are still learing to deal with this!)

some NYer's aren't thrilled with a hawk ripping apart a pidgeon or squirrel, and feeding in city parts,(its a bit too gory for them, and besides, they feed those same pidgeons and squirrels!)

i don't think i would enjoy eagles swooping down, and carrying off stray (or just out playing) dogs and cats..
i think eagles have a place in the world.. but i am rather glad i don't have to watch them eating.

Is there a way to have DDT and eagles? its not clear.

are there ways to control malaria besides DDT? yes.
i don't think we have to chose millions dead with malaria OR no eagles. (or other birds)

there are other choices.
There are plenty of people who chose developement over conservation. Low taxes (and relitively little protected lands and animal habitats.)

While Ms carson might have miss represented Schweitzer, i don't think her book was a total fabrication.
there is real evidence DDT is not good for birds.